Tampa was a very small city in 1913 when the doors first opened at the Blount Henderson Funeral Home. This partnership was short-lived, however, with Frazier T. Blount purchasing Henderson's interest four years later, forming the F. T. Blount Company Funeral Home.
In that era, funeral establishments were usually small converted residences. Searching for larger quarters, Mr. Blount purchased two homes on the northeast corner of Tyler and Marion Streets. One structure was converted to a funeral home, and the other became his family residence. An enclosed passageway connected the two facilities creating Tampa's first funeral home staffed on a 24-hour basis.
In 1952, Mr. Blount decided to retire and sold his business to two of his key employees, Henry Hale and Jack Yent, Sr. Three years later, Hale and Yent built Tampa's first conventional funeral home on Nebraska Avenue. That building now houses the administrative offices and training center for new employees and continuing education classrooms for all personnel.
Over the years, numerous firms from Hillsborough and Pinellas Counties joined the F.T. Blount firms, including Curry & Son Funeral Home, founded by Mark Curry, Jr. In late 2006, the Terrace Oaks Chapel was added to serve families of Temple Terrace and the Tampa area. Today, four chapels and three cemeteries proudly serve the residents of Tampa as members of the Blount & Curry family.
Life is very precious. When a life does end, saying goodbye is very difficult. It is the mission of the Blount & Curry family of funeral homes to assist families through this most difficult period by providing the very finest services and cemeteries in the most caring and meaningful way.